The Department of Biochemistry at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore started in 1921. It has remained in the forefront of biochemical research in the country. It has deservedly received recognition at various stages of its growth. The department was recognized as a Centre of Advanced study in Biochemistry in 1968 by the University Grants Commission. This Department has continuously provided the nucleus that has led to the establishment of new centres of focused research within the Institute, and also research institutions elsewhere such as the Lac Research Institute (Ranchi), Central Food Technological Research Institute (Mysore) and ASTRA Research Centre (Bangalore).